Grandparents Mediation

Have you been stopped access or having contact with your Grandchildren and need help? Speak to MIAMS Greater Manchester


Grandparents and Grandchildren after Separation or Divorce

Grandparents mediation helps grandparents resolve disputes and establish contact arrangements with their grandchildren. It is essential because it fosters a good relationship between grandparents and grandchildren, focusing on the child’s best interests. MIAMS Mediation Greater Manchester provides a less adversarial and more co-operative environment compared to court proceedings.
 the UK, grandparents do not have an automatic legal right to see their grandchildren. However, they can apply for contact through a child arrangements order. This may require leave of the court, which means getting permission before making a court application.


How a Greater Manchester Mediator Can Help

How does the Mediation Process Work for Grandparents?

The MIAMS Greater Manchester mediation process involves several steps:

  • Mediation Information and Assessment Meeting (MIAM): The first step is to attend a MIAM with an independent family mediator. This meeting provides an overview of mediation and assesses its suitability for your situation.
  • Mediation Sessions: If mediation is deemed appropriate, sessions will be scheduled. These can address direct contact, such as face-to-face visits, and indirect contact, like phone calls or video calls.

  • Agreements and Outcomes: If agreements are reached, they can be documented in a Memorandum of Understanding and may be made legally binding through a consent order with the help of a solicitor.

MIAMS Greater Manchester Grandparent Mediation FAQ

Q: Can grandparents get legal aid for mediation?

A: Yes, grandparents on a low income may be eligible for legal aid to cover the costs of mediation. This assistance ensures that financial constraints do not hinder access to mediation services.

Q: What happens if mediation is unsuccessful?

A: If mediation is unsuccessful, the next step may involve making a court application for a child arrangements order. A CAFCASS report may be required to provide the family court with an independent assessment of the child’s circumstances and the suitability of contact arrangements.

Q: What legal advice is available for grandparents?

A: Grandparents can seek legal advice from a solicitor or organizations like Citizens Advice. Legal advice can help grandparents understand their rights and the legal processes involved in seeking contact with their grandchildren under the Children Act.

Q: Are there special considerations for domestic violence cases?

A: In cases involving domestic violence, mediation can still be an option but with additional safeguards, such as conducting sessions in separate rooms or via video calls to ensure safety.

Q: How do grandparents apply for contact through the court?

A: Grandparents must first obtain leave of the court to apply for a child arrangements order. This involves submitting a court application and paying a court fee. The court will consider various factors, including the child’s best interests and the nature of the relationship between the grandparent and grandchild.

Q: Is mediation available across the UK?

A: Yes, mediation services are available across England, Wales, and Scotland. Each region has specific procedures, so it’s important to speak to us for us to place you with the right  mediator who will be familiar with regional laws.

For more information or to schedule a MIAM, contact our family mediation services . Our team can be reached via email or phone and offer initial consultations to discuss your situation.

Contact us HERE for more details to speak to a Greater Manchester mediator and begin your mediation journey.